Wednesday 25 March 2020

Hastings Country Park and the 'C' Virus

From East Hill

For some reason I appear to have many hours stuck indoors now, no-one to talk to (like many I live alone), and so, rather than bang my head against the wall, I am going to use some of that time to share the delights of Hastings and its environs, and to remind us all of our responsibilities in this Coronavirus related national, and international, crisis. Also, I am sharing the results of my personal form of exercise, very much alone, early in the day, staying "more than 2 metres from others" and, consequently, why I am now indoors for the rest of the day (BBC & Government website).

Rooftops of the Old Town

Luckily, walking is an accepted form of exercise as long as you remain at least 2 metres from others, as said above (website), also, since I had my fractured spine operated on near the beginning of the Millennium, I was advised by the Consultant Surgeon to take regular walks for the rest of my life, when possible. Therefore, I was out early this morning, from 06.00 hours, to avoid as many others as possible, however, it still didn't prevent me from waving at and speaking loudly across the road to, a young woman I regularly talk to near Pelham Crescent, whilst she walks her wee dog, and Paul, the main man for street cleaning in the Old Town, bless them both.


Then I walked up the East Hill steps, I met no-one else for ages, but I did spot these Primroses and Primula 'Wanda' (RHS website) just before meeting Barley Lane; I hadn't realised they are called Wanda until I looked them up when I reached home, all those years of ignorance... I then wandered to the East along Barley Lane, meeting a lovely woman along the way, and we had a wee chat from 7 or 8 yards apart (very socially acceptable now!); people really are coming together and not forgetting we're human, well, at least some are (coming together metaphorically).


The sounds of birds singing, including hearing my first woodpecker of the year, otherwise quiet and peaceful, and the lovely aroma of blossom in the air, it is difficult to impart how wonderful it was in writing. And, not too much further on, I met someone else who I know who works at Hastings Fishermen's Museum (older blog), walking with her husband and dog, it's a small world, well, small Hastings! Again, we kept respectfully apart, well over 5 metres, and exchanged pleasantries. Indeed, although, for the distance walked, I didn't meet many others on the way and way back, but we all ensured we kept well away from each other, never under 5 metres apart, exchanged our 'hellos' 'be carefuls' and 'keep wells' and it was all very heartening.

Warren Glen

So, Hastings Country Park nature reserve (website) is a wonderful piece of land to walk up to and cross, peaceful, respectful, and a delight to observe its beauty.


Oh yes, and there are Exmoor Ponies, and Belted Galloway Cattle too, well away from their natural homes, but apparently happy to abide in East Sussex! 😉 Older blog.

Who are you looking at?!?


So, I reached Fairlight, which was my turning round point today (under 4 miles each way), and yet another beautiful spot where Pre-Raphaelite artists, and their friends, eg Edward Lear (Lear, already an accomplished artist, was a student to the Pre-Raphaelite William Holman Hunt), visited and painted during the 19th century (blog).


I returned to Hastings, walking back down Barley Lane, and reached the retired lifeboat, Priscilla MacBean, which I haven't written about for a while (eg my first ever blog).


Then, soon after, I reached Cyril and Lilian Bishop, the hero and Ghost of Dunkirk, returned to Hastings in 2017 (blog) below All Saints Church.

To repeat myself, which I think is important at this time, we do need to ensure we maintain a responsible level of social distancing at all times. More importantly, if you are someone, or live with someone, who the Government has designated as a 'vulnerable person' you need to take note of the even more severe restrictions recommended. Please see the Government website for further advice, and stay safe folks.

I hope you have enjoyed the photographs I have shared today, and this blog.

Remember, please be careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment