Friday 27 March 2020

Observations from Yesterday in Hastings

Rock-a-Nore Road

I'll not be posting photographs all the time from my permitted and Government/NHS advised (website) daily exercise programme (carried out alone), because, quite frankly, there is only a limited number of photographic opportunities, otherwise they'll all start looking the same. But I have a few observations from my early morning walk yesterday (note the long shadows in the images), and a happier observation from earlier today.


First, I noticed that the lower promenade near St Leonards had been closed off, presumably not for maintenance, as non-essential work is not being carried out, in theory at least, but more likely to stop 'social drinkers' from forming groups of more than 2. However, it looks like, from the bent and moved fencing, that didn't have the desired result. Indeed, on the very day that local police officers were in the town centre reminding "people to stay indoors and away from the town centre" (blog), there were half a dozen 'social drinkers' in a close huddle in Queens Road around 09.15; I gave them a wide birth. Similarly, this morning, on return from my exercise, and in the town centre between the coffee shops, there were 4 people gathered together. Concerned.


Also, Hastings Pier was closed, appears responsible, but their facebook page states it is open from 10.30 to 17.00 (I passed it much earlier), likely an administrative oversight. Whereas a post apologises for it being closed due to the Coronavirus crisis (facebook). I presume it is closed, although I cannot check on that because I cannot stay out forever due to Government restrictions, and I get out as early as possible to avoid others (even I can be responsible, really!). But I had another thought, if the buildings on the Pier stayed closed, wouldn't it be an ideal place to enjoy exercise, providing people stayed over 2 metres apart, in fact, it is so large a space people could stay over 5 metres apart. If anyone has seen the Pier open please let me know in a comment, many thanks!


Finally, something positive, whilst out this morning, and being very responsible indeed, I first heard, then, whilst concentrating on where the sound was coming from, I saw, this lovely wee bird... Well, not the one in the image above, I don't have the appropriate photographic equipment to take such a good photograph from distance. But I did hear and see a Great Spotted Woodpecker (RSPB website). Result!

Please carry on being responsible dear folk, and look after yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment