Friday 27 November 2020

Speedy Response from Hastings MP!

Hastings & St Leonards* (Simon Holland)

I have received a speedy reply (quality!) to my letter (previous blog) from our Member of Parliament Sally-Ann Hart, via her caseworker, which appears to show she is on board regarding Hastings, our local Hospitality Sector, and Tier 2. She was obviously well prepared for how her constituents may feel about this issue; see below: 

I am deeply disappointed by the decision to put Hastings and Rother, along with the whole of East Sussex, into Tier 2.

 

Over the last weeks and months, I have seen how our local communities have pulled together in these trying times and kept infections rates low, and sometimes the lowest in the country.

 

Although I am pleased that the new tiering system means all retail, gyms, places of worship and leisure facilities can open, it leaves many parts of our hospitality sector closed and in peril.

 

We entered the recent national restrictions on Tier 1, with low infections, and we are now being told that following a month of tough restrictions the situation has got worse. I understand the criteria that has been used, but rates in East Sussex are now decreasing and therefore I will be looking for evidence to support us going into Tier 2.

 

Early next week the Government will be publishing the economic impact assessments of the decisions they have made, and this will then be followed on Tuesday with a vote in Parliament on this new system.

 

With infection rates falling, and our economy suffering, it is my view that East Sussex should have been placed in Tier 1, and that the evidence for the situation we now find ourselves in is not clear.

 

I will of course analysis the economic impact assessments next week, but I fear, at the busiest time of year for many businesses in our hospitality sector, not being able to open could be disastrous. My support for the Government’s new tiering system is not certain at this stage.”


We'll see how this goes, but I'm not optimistic... 


The photograph* above is reproduced with many thanks to Simon Holland Photography (facebook page), a wonderful view of Hastings & St Leonards, cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment