Tuesday 21 March 2017

He's on a Quest, and another interesting discovery!

By Steve the Beermeister...

Following my recent consideration of beer price increases in Hastings pubs since the Chancellor's budget, and breweries annual price increases, I've been on a bit of a quest, because most breweries are at it, not to mention the middle person, and the tax collector indeed! Also, an interesting development regarding paying by debit card... So, here's a few in Hastings and nearby, and, OK, it is a chore, but I prefer to say it's really a calling.
                                                     

I walked to Bexhill the other day, to the RAFA Albatross Club... OK, it is cheaper because it is a members club, but their 4 real ales, whatever strength, are all priced at £3.20 a pint. For another comparison on keg beers, I checked on their Guinness price too, which is £3.50 a pint, not bad, but, as I said, this is a club.


I also popped into the Dripping Well, just up towards Bohemia Road from the old Post Office. Here, two real ales were on sale, the session bitter being Wadworth Henry's IPA at just £2.90 a pint, and their stronger bitter, Youngs Special at £3.30 a pint; the Guinness here costs £3.70 a pint, all very good value for a pub so close to the town centre.


Back into the old town and, in Rock-A-Nore Road, the Dolphin Inn today put up their prices following all breweries and other suppliers price increases, and the 2% increase in beer duty. All 6 of their real ales continue to be priced the same, strengths from 3.8% to, usually, no more than 6%, ie now £3.70 a pint, and Guinness now costs £4.10 a pint.


I shall visit a few more pubs and bars around town, and continue to report on price variations, probably coming to an overall comparison in a month or two, but! An interesting piece of information came to my attention this morning, ie, if you pay for your drinks by a debit card (as customers are increasingly being encouraged to do, but what's wrong with cash, I say?!?) at the London Trader in the old town, they charge you £1 on top, effectively, say you pay for 2 pints with your card, increasing the price of each pint by 50p!

Interesting, indeed! I shall continue my quest...😉

No comments:

Post a Comment