Monday 15 July 2024

Breakfast at the Dugout Cafe, St Leonards

I haven't eaten an English Breakfast at a cafe for ages, but spontaneously dropped in (or up into) the Dugout Cafe, Seaside Road, St Leonards TN38 0AL (facebook), as I walked down towards it this morning, and a couple of friends were heading for it recently, when I was in the area, so I presumed it was decent. They reopened in March this year, presumably under new management, and haven't finished refurbishing the downstairs yet, hence the up into, and not suitable for wheelchair users yet; the stairs are quite steep.
The menu is quite varied, but I was here for the breakfast, so ignored the rest, I didn't want 2 sausages, as they're not my favourite part of a breakfast, so I went for the Small Breakfast, but with mushrooms as an extra (I do like my mushrooms, and they were good), and a mug of tea from the off. The breakfast (below) included 1 sausage, not bad quality, but deep fried to reheat, presumably, so a bit tough skin-wise, and 2 rashers of bacon, which were a bit overcooked, so I'm guessing they'd been cooked earlier and kept warm; it was about 10.30.
The baked beans were, well, baked beans, hard to alter unless you add Worcestershire Sauce, and the egg was freshly fried, nice yellow yolk, perfect runniness. The Hash Brown was deep fried too, I imagine, so a wee bit oily, but the toast was just perfect, spread with butter, but I presume I could ask for it not to be, but what the heck, I'm treating myself!
The view from where I sat (above image), by the top right-hand window in the first image, shame about the telegraph pole, but still a nice view out to sea. This is across where the old lido used to be (Lost Lidos). The service was very friendly from the 2 young women working there, speedy, and efficient. The room was clean and bright, and the toilets looked clean too, although I didn't need to use them. My breakfast with tea came to £9.00, which I thought was good value for what was on the plate. Now a period of abstinance before my next Full English.

No comments:

Post a Comment