Sunday 18 October 2015

Bonfire Beer Festival at the FILO

By Steve the Beermeister...


Whilst processions were being held, and bonfires and fireworks were being lit down on the beach, there has been a beer festival at the First In Last Out (FILO) in the High Street... Quite a few decent ales to drink there, indeed, and there should still be some left to sup this afternoon and evening, I'm having another go at them anyway! As usual, there are 4 of the FILO Brewery's own ales at the bar, their Crofters Best Bitter, Bourne Blonde, Old Town Tom, and Cardinal Sussex Porter.   


Of their 10 'guest' festival ales, I tried a few; Inveralmond Tight Head (4.2%) has plenty of malt in its flavour, as one would expect from a Scottish ale, though a bit too sweet for me, like liquid 'Caramac' (I love dry bitter pale golden ales, please take note, so don't let my preferences put you off, there are plenty of styles for everyone!). Another darker ale I tasted was the burnished copper coloured Tring Thunderdell (4.3%), rich with roasted barley in the flavour and taste, plenty of body and taste! Other darker ales include the 'brown ale' Kirby Lonsdale Devil's Bridge (3.7%), Hanlons 'porter' Devon Darkness (4.2%), and Dark Star Winter Meltdown (5.0%).   
Of the paler ales, I have regularly drunk before the golden hoppy Salopian Shropshire Gold (3.8%) and Moorhouse's Blonde Witch (4.5%). Also, I drank a pint of the excellent Burning Sky Aurora (5.6%), with its tangerine and grapefruit aroma and rich deep fruity flavour and body, with a dry bitter finish, quality! I also tried the 4.7% Springhead Barebones, another very decent ale with a hint of roasted barley in the flavour, with a deep amber colour and dry finish. Finally, the 10th ale was the Blackwater Brewery Voodoo (4.6%), contract brewed at Salopian Brewery, another excellent refreshing ale with a strong citrus aroma, grapefruit and an orangey flavours too (need to wink here), I wrote "NICE+++" in my notes, so it tied with the Aurora as one of my 2 favourite ales of the visit!

Still ales available today, oh yes, and 3 real ciders hopefully! Plus events still happening with Hastings Week too (website), enjoy, cheers!       

No comments:

Post a Comment