Friday 22 January 2021

Fishing Fleet, Foxes & Frost! There's an Alliteration for you...


Reading the Guardian online recently (website), I wasn't too surprised that it reported that members of the Hastings Fishing Fleet are unhappy with the Government's 'deal' with the European Union. I have written many times about the local fishing fleet since I wrote about the Greenpeace visit to Hastings nearly 6 years ago (blog), which included a meeting where Paul Joy voiced similar thoughts to those he discusses in the Guardian article. A "passionate Brexiter" and knowledgeable about the industry, he had admitted that the UK government department responsible (DEFRA and their website) was guilty of badly translating the Common Fisheries Policy quota details, disrespecting the smaller fishing boat fleets whilst favouring the larger fishing boat fleets.

But I was surprised to read that Paul's fishing boat is not going out fishing now, especially looking back to seeing the lights of 3 or 4 fishing boats out at sea this morning, when I began my daily exercise before 07.00. I have since spoken to one of the fishermen I know who told me that he had gone out this morning at about 06.00 to lay nets which they will return to tomorrow morning. He told me that there aren't many fish around at the moment, but he suggested it's likely that Paul's boat will be out again in the Spring, though there is no hint of that in the Guardian article. Anyway, you will be pleased to know that members of the local fishing fleet are still fishing in local waters. Developments will be very interesting, I believe...

Field above Fairlight Glen

Anyway, foxes! Recently, I heard a couple of foxes 'screaming' in someone's garden just around the corner from where I live in the town centre, and this morning, whilst still quite dark, I spotted what I at first thought was a dog chasing after a fox across the East Hill... But no, it was a second bigger fox, presumably a dog fox, and yes, January is the mating season for foxes, so if you've been hearing foxes screaming at one another, you know the reason why, it's January and foxes are procreating!

Why the photograph above? Well, it was too dark to photograph the foxes, and they were running too quickly for me to get out my mobile phone anyway. And Fairlight was the destination for me to turn around at for my daily exercise today, nice sky too. 😉


And frost? I have to admit I've not owned a car for many years now, mainly using public transport, or walking, to get about, although not so much public transport for the last 10 months! And frost isn't really something I take notice of, although I do remember the inconvenience of having to clear windscreens. But the first lockdown last year changed the way I look at nature, and this morning, whilst walking back along Barley Lane, I couldn't help noticing the wonderful leaf-like patterns not just on windscreens, but on car bonnets too, like in the photograph above that I took this morning. I just looked up why this happens (most references are about patterns on glass, for example this reference), which explains that it is caused by tiny imperfections in, or on, the glass.

Isn't nature wonderful, and Jack Frost an excellent artist?!? 👍

Have a good weekend, and stay safe folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment