Wednesday 2 September 2020

A Stork in Hastings!


I kid you not, walking into the 'old town' at about 07.00 this morning, into the sun with my shades on, and I spotted a gigantic 'heron' up on a roof to my left opposite Swan Lake, couldn't believe it as it was about 3-4 times the size of the biggest heron I ever remember seeing... Took the shades off, and it didn't look anything like a heron, and the gulls were very disturbed, it appeared, as they kept well way! I kept staring, grappled for my mobile phone to take a photograph, but, before I could even turn it on, let alone switch to camera mode, the enormous bird flew majestically across the road. I rushed back hoping it landed on one of the islands on Swan Lake, but it had carried on...

I remembered that storks had been recently re-introduced to this country, and even had a breeding site in Sussex (Guardian). A friend suggested that it may have been on its way back south seasonally, but I think it was a 'juvenile' and probably exploring, watch out for it folks! I wish I'd got that photograph...

No comments:

Post a Comment