Saturday 22 August 2020

Wee Weekend & Weather Blog


I do like an alliteration! 😉

The weather has certainly already effected the weekend and things to do, for example, Live & Unlocked on Hastings Pier was postponed yesterday (facebook) thanks to the rain and strong winds (and little chance of setting up due to the weather); I don't believe there is any live music today, but it is still worth a visit these days, great views, and more businesses getting on board regularly. Tomorrow (Sunday 23rd) there will be DJs and Pier Pressure from 13.00 to 18.00 (facebook), it looks to be a wee bit windy still, with sunshine and maybe showers (Met Office), so be prepared! By the way, the Pier now opens from 08.00 to 23.00 (way to run a pier - are you watching Mr G?!?).

And why the photograph looking down on the local fishing industry quarter early doors? First of all, I was sure I'd written a blog about the history of the local fishing industry in the past, but looking back I don't seem to have, although I have written quite often about the contemporary local fishing industry, eg the blog about when Greenpeace came to town. Hmmm, must have written about it somewhere else! 

Anyway, I know it was the largest beach-launched fishing fleet in Europe when I started writing my blogs (many thanks to Jimmy Toller - R.I.P. - for information I was given many years ago now), but, since I started writing my blogs it looks like there are about 10 fewer boats actively going out to fish from the beach (and thanks to Jack for information here too, cheers!). Which is why the photograph is published above as it was taken by me a couple of days ago when the weather meant the working boats were not launched that morning, so I counted the numbers, about 15 still working/licensed to fish.

But back to this weekend and, whatever you do, please do still be careful, and enjoy yourself! (Cue music) 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment