Sunday 5 July 2020

Sunday Sunny and Windy Walk About...


These days I don't usually wander around Hastings during the afternoon, and very rarely weekends at the best of times, but I wanted to have a look around and see how Silly Saturday plus was getting on, so I wandered out via Claremont to the seafront, and was surprised by how quiet it was! Sunday afternoon, 1.30pm, and I took the above photograph of Pelham Beach, as you can see it was very quiet, although I wasn't really too surprised as the water was rough, no swimming, and quite a strong wind too at about 25 mph with gusts of up to 40 mph. But the car park was full! 😕


Intrigued, I looked for the quietest way to the Old Town and followed the now running Miniature Railway to The Stade (above), as there were certainly more people walking alongside the main road; nice to see the railway having customers too, 2 trains running and both had people aboard. I was looking for someone I know to enquire about yesterday, but it was busier along Rock-a-Nore Road, and the main road, so some intended sources were busy, but I did manage to have a chat with Oliver and Becky at The Jolly Fisherman (blog), which is continuing with its takeout business at the moment (blog). They were open yesterday evening too, for people who had booked tables, and it could be worth keeping an eye out for them opening for people to sit down inside for table service, indeed, they are considering their options...

A Quiet George Street

Anyway, they informed me that it was quite quiet yesterday (Silly Saturday), certainly in the Old Town, which is not surprising really, because it wasn't exactly the nicest day of the Summer. Indeed, there weren't that many pubs and bars open in the Old Town, and the ones I saw open today appeared to have their places organised very well to ensure social distancing was maintained.

However, it appears that a certain bar in Queens Road was 'rammed' yesterday, but, when I walked back home via the town centre and Queens Road this afternoon, everywhere seemed very quiet, including said bar. Let's hope it continues... 

No comments:

Post a Comment