Sunday 3 November 2019

Breakfast and Rugby at the Dolphin


Earlier this year (blog) I reported that Clare was now the chef at the Dolphin Inn, 11-12 Rock-a-Nore Road, TN34 3DW (website), but I have not eaten a Full English Breakfast there since, although I have had many excellent bacon (locally 'smoked' across the road) sandwiches, because I'm being sensible about my diet these days, and despite having eaten breakfasts all around town before, eg at the Anchor Inn (blog). But yesterday, I was there for the Rugby Union World Cup Final, along with many others of various ages, male and female, all of whom were a wee bit upset at the result, except 2 Scotsmen, oh well, I did enjoy my breakfast, ales, and the craic!


So, to the food, of the various breakfasts available, I had to chose the Full English, of course, as it's what I've always compared when writing about breakfasts before, and above you will see a photograph of my meal, costing £6.75, and the price including a mug of tea or mug of various coffees. This is a slight variation on the usual Full English, which includes bubble & squeak, but without the beans and fried potatoes.

They also have a smaller version at £4.25, a Vegetarian Breakfast, Welsh Breakfast, Kedgeree, GEG (a pretty special scrambled eggs on toast, but look up all the breakfasts at the website!), and a Classic Omelette, all at £6.75 and including a tea of coffee in the price too. Breakfast is available until lunchtime (12.00 noon, then lunch) every day, starting at 10.00 am on weekdays, but at 09.00 at weekends. Food is locally sourced, particularly from Hastings Fish Market, which is opposite the pub.


Of course there is always ale, including these 2 excellent guest ales yesterday, another guest ale (Harveys Old Ale yesterday), and 3 regular ales, including 2 ales brewed in Sussex, Dark Star Hophead and Harveys Sussex Best. But to the breakfast I ate!

As I said above, a slight variation on the usual Full English, with Double Bacon (Clare's own and delicious!), a Pork Sausage (very eatable), Fried Egg (perfectly cooked, only a wee bit runny), Plum Tomato, Mushrooms (should always be included in any Full English in my opinion!), Black Pudding (not everyone's favourite, but I'm happy to eat it), Fried Sliced Potatoes (liked these muchly!), Baked Beans and Toast (lovely bread). Also, they are always happy to omit or add other ingredients when asked, eg if you hate Black Pudding, which I don't, indeed, you can create your own breakfast! 😉

Anyway, good value, nicely cooked and presented, thanks to Clare and colleagues, but maybe I shouldn't leave it so long before I have a cooked breakfast next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment