Monday 20 November 2017

Another Full English Breakfast!

It's a while since I've had a 'Full English' recently, but I was talked into having one by a mate, cheers Mark, many thanks for this!


Apparently, the landlord of the Anchor Inn in George Street, Dennis, had recently suggested to Mark that he come in and eat one of their breakfasts, the Anchor being 'dog friendly', so Mark, his dog Rosie, and I, enjoyed a pleasant early-ish morning there! Steve the Beermeister has already added a blog to this publication about the Anchor Inn, its history, and the argument for and against it being the oldest continuous pub in Hastings, which there should be more written soon, I hope... Anyway, we arrived, and the Full English Breakfast variations, including vegetarian options are:

The Anchor Light Breakfast at £4.95 - Includes 1 x Sausage, 1 x Rasher of Bacon, 1 x Slice of Black Pudding, 1 x Large Flat Mushroom, 1 x Hash Brown, 1 x Egg (Fried or Scrambled), Plum Tomatoes or Baked Beans, a Slice of Toast or a Fried Slice, and a Mug of Tea or Coffee.

The Anchor Gut Buster at £7.95 provides 2 of all the above, and 1 Tea or Coffee.

The Anchor Veggie Breakfast at £4.95 - Includes 1 x Hash Brown, 1 x Bubble & Squeak Sausage, 1 x Large Flat Mushroom, Halloumi, 1 x Egg (Fried or Scrambled), Plum Tomatoes or Baked Beans, A Slice of Toast or a Fried Slice, Mug of Tea or Coffee.

Unsurprisingly, the Anchor Veggie Gut Buster at £7.95 also doubles up!


Well, this is what we both had, with slightly eyes bigger than our stomachs, notably Mark's, the same version of the Anchor Gut Buster, though he had coffee and I had tea, a nice strong mug of Breakfast Tea with the tea bag left in the mug, and milk on the side, so up to you how strong to have it; I forgot to ask Mark about his coffee, but he seemed happy with it. I just made little notes, so here goes my opinion:

The sausages were cooked well, not sure if they were Lincolnshire, though not packed with herbs so I doubt it, very tasty, not bad at all, and we all know how important I place the sausage on the ingredients that often need to be improved upon, so a pass here! The bacon was again cooked well, not burnt, nice and thick rashers of Middle, though not with the extra long thin bit. The slices of black pudding, hash browns and baked beans were what you would expect, difficult to go over the top about either of those ingredients. I love mushrooms, so always happy for as many as I can get of them, and the slices of toast were perfect and well buttered, I presume you could ask for this not to be buttered, but suited me, oh yes, and you can get brown toast if you want.

Overall, a very decent breakfast, pretty good value, and nicely presented. As I suggested, Mark left a bit, though not the meat, I didn't leave any, but was well full up, and we both shared various samples with Rosie (so I didn't eat it all!), so she was happy too. It has been suggested by another friend that you can ask for different combinations too, eg if you'd prefer a slice of bacon to a sausage. Mark's final words were "next time I'll just have the "Light Breakfast" - which means he/we'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment