Monday 25 March 2019

Hastings Half Marathon 2019 and Results


I reached the start/finish point of the 35th Hastings Half Marathon by East Marina Gardens thirty minutes early, so only some of the runners can be seen warming up in this image, and I'd beaten most of the spectators here too. I had walked from the town centre, so passed the forever (it seems) closed Hastings Pier; what a shame as there were many people wandering around the seafront, not just runners and spectators, it being such a lovely day weather-wise, though the Goat Ledge cafe looked to have done well yesterday, and good for them too! There are whispers going round that the Pier may be open for Easter now, but don't hold your collective breath, I still don't trust anything that comes from the present owner and his chums, we'll see...


1066 Pipes and Drums (website) arrive, as they do each year, giving stirring renditions of traditional music, I loved them playing Flower of Scotland, but it is a favourite of mine anyway, so I was easily pleased. I was a little disconcerted, following the closed Pier comment above, that the fake wee Lord Billy Liar McLean (website) was wandering into the mix of the band with the Mayor (who actually is an elected councillor) to be photographed with them! Does anyone know if he's managed to worm his way into some sort of 1066 Caledonian Society role?


And they're off! The lead car coming towards me...


And the leading runners from the start zoom past me too!


I walked down to All Saints Street in the old town, where I like to watch runners as they still have over 2 miles to run, but I can soon find a watering hole when my hands get overworked, and here comes the lead car a little under an hour from the start.

Josseli Polini & Gary Foster

These two finished first and second, though Josseli Polini finished 21 seconds ahead, so I'm guessing he pulled away late on. First 3 finishers: 1) Josseli Polini 1:10:56, 2) Gary Foster (Hastings AC and who finished third last year) 1:11:17, 3) Rhys Boorman (Hastings AC and who has finished second and third in other recent Hastings Half Marathons) 1:13:45.

Heather Noone

Rachael Mulvey passed me first of the women runners, however, Heather Noone came first by 32 seconds ahead, so she must have put on one heck of a spurt along the seafront, as she was quite a way behind Rachael at this stage of the race. The first 3 women finishers were: 1) Heather Noone 1:21:42, 2) Rachael Mulvey (Hastings AC) 1:22:14. 3) Megan Taylor (Lewes AC) 1:27:07.

My congratulations to all who took part, my hands were aching with all my clapping, indeed. my respect to everyone involved, excellent!

For a full list of the 2,598 finishers go to this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment