Saturday 2 March 2019

Following Hastings Parkrun, sort of!


The regular Saturday morning Hastings Parkrun has been going for nearly 4 years now (blog), starting at 09.00, and finishing whenever, at Seaside Road, in front of West Marina Gardens. Because I wasn't joining in, and because I live near the centre of town, I started at the Halfway point just east of Hastings Pier, a wee bit damp earlier.

Hastings Pier, closed

OK, I soon passed the Pier, whose owner very recently was found guilty at Hastings Magistrates Court (blog) of failing to pay 'security bonds' to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) in respect of 'Pay As You Earn (PAYE) and National Insurance contributions' and, consequently, "trading illegally" at hotels in Eastbourne. He was fined on 2 counts and the 2 hotel businesses were fined, £2,000 each, thus £8,000 in total. Oh yes, of course it was closed, but you can just (faintly) see in the above image that the flags that used to be flying from the centre Deck pavilion are not there anymore...


Anyway, these were the first two runners coming towards me, before turning around at the Halfway point and returning from whence they started, the lad on the left passed me first coming back, about 10 yards in front of the other, no idea who finished first.


The Parkrun is over 5km, and not meant to be competitive, as parkruns held throughout the country were started in respect to improving individuals' health. However, it is timed, so I'd imagine individual runners become competitive with themselves, trying to improve their own times, probably. Here (above) are not so fast participants.

Goat Ledge, taken just before opening

Now, I've not reviewed Goat Ledge cafe yet, maybe I should soon, but the fact the pavilion cafe on the Pier hasn't been open for ages must be good for them, as Goat Ledge has been open over the winter from 09.00 to 16.00 every day! Oh yes, and I have noticed some excellent comments and reviews of others, and saw a photograph on social media the other day of many people sitting outside Goat Ledge cafe, notably a number of Friends of Hastings Pier supporters. The opening times change at the end of March, when Goat Ledge cafe will be open every day from 09.00 until sunset.


Coming up to the Finish of the Parkrun, (earlier the Start), and some finishers are already wandering back, but, as you can see, participants were still finishing when I took this photograph. Over 300 participants took part today, plus many volunteers to marshal and time the weekly event; if you would like to find out more details of the Hastings Parkrun, participate, or volunteer to help, go to their website. Please note, if you want to participate in other parts of the country, and there are nearly 6,000 clubs around the country, please go to the Parkrun UK website.


And I wandered back to the town centre, when I actually took this photograph (more dull at my start), and I should like to add my congratulations to all who took part in the Parkrun, runners and volunteers alike, nice one!

No comments:

Post a Comment