Wednesday 18 November 2015

Lifeboats - Priscilla MacBean and Mary Stanford.


It is nearly a year since I wrote my first blog about the Priscilla MacBean, its discovery, refurbishment, and the towing of that retired lifeboat up The Bourne to its present drydock. It is just over 87 years since the lifeboat Mary Stanford capsized in Rye Harbour, sadly with the loss of her entire 17 man crew (website); Hastings Lifeboat Crew and Launchers took part in the annual memorial service on Sunday.   


Last week, I noticed that another retired fishing boat (RX273) had been cut in half and used to provide protection for a bench beside the Priscilla MacBean, so I went back to take some more photographs... 


... and there she is with her bench, a fine monument to those people who risk their lives with the RNLI to help ensure the safety of people at sea, and by the sea, respect. 

R.I.P. The crew of the Mary Stanford...

No comments:

Post a Comment