Sunday 17 May 2015

Where to Eat a 'Full English'

23 07 2018 - Please note that Hoagies and Tutti Frutties no longer exist, certainly not around the America Ground anymore, sadly...


I shall be writing about good 'Full English' breakfasts in 3 instalments (who knows, maybe more to come yet!), the first is for central Hastings, then a second to the west, and a third to the east. All three establishments discussed today are within a very small radius of the America Ground, and a version of this blog has already been published, in my name and with fewer photographs of course, in the Hastings Independent. 

First up is Hoagies-Reloaded, 39 Robertson Street, TN34 1HL (telephone: 01424 427830). £3.95 if you get there before 11.00, and £4.95 thereafter, and that's literally. I walked in the door at 10.59 and was still given the cheaper price, nice one! 2 rashers of very decent quality bacon, 1 fried egg on either toast or fried bread (I went for the less unhealthy option of toast this time), baked beans, half a large tomato, a not great sausage, and a mug of either tea or coffee. Excellent value, indeed! 
Hoagies' Breakfast

As I will often say, and often have in the past, for the sake of another 50p or £1, a good quality sausage would make it a very good breakfast and still great value, but often cafes do seem to go for the cheaper option over quality, sadly... Oh well, I still enjoyed my meal very much. They also provide a vegetarian option, at the same prices, before and after 11.00, and includes 2 'veggie' sausages (I rarely like these, told you I'm fussy, I prefer just simple ingredients for my vegetarian option, eg I'd pack it with mushrooms, and maybe sautéed potatoes, but that's me!), fried egg on toast or fried bread, baked beans, tomatoes and a mug of tea or coffee.

Secondly, I enjoyed the atmospheric Tutti Frutti's, 4 Trinity Street, TN34 1HG (telephone: 01424 423946). This is a 1940/50s themed restaurant/cafe. I very much enjoyed the music and decor. The pot of tea was extra to the cost of the meal, £1.30 for a single pot, and £1.80 for 2, though the 'wee pot' was pretty big! Oh yes, or £1 for a mug of tea or coffee. The breakfast was £5.00, and the food was advertised as 'locally sourced', something I look for too, of course.
Inside Tutti Frutti's

The meal included 2 sausages, not too bad at all (you'll appreciate I'm very particular about the quality of my sausages and will go on about them!), 2 rashers of nice thick bacon, very tasty, 1 egg, perfectly fried, with the 'yellow' just the right amount of soft, gently cooked tomatoes, and 2 slices of fresh toast. Again a vegetarian option is available, but at slightly cheaper price, that is £4.50 a meal, and includes a hash brown, scrambled egg, tomato, baked beans, mushrooms and a slice of toast.  
Tutti Frutti's Breakfast

My third breakfast was at the White Rock Hotel, virtually opposite the pier at White Rock, TN34 1JU (telephone: 01424 422240). A bar as well, and usually serving 4 real ales from Sussex brewers (bar opens at 10.00!). There are 2 sizes of breakfast, I had the "Full Audrey's Breakfast” for £9.00, which consists of a glass of fruit juice, a pot of tea or coffee, toast (white or brown), 2 free range eggs (choice of how served, I had fried eggs, just perfect), 2 sausages with herbs in, probably Lincoln, 2 rashers of bacon, a tad overcooked, a fried tomato cut in half, and good portions of mushrooms and baked beans. I've always had excellent service here from friendly staff (I've been more than once, usually after working a night shift), and enjoyed the view of the seafront from the window.  

There is also a smaller breakfast available at the White Rock Hotel, ie “Little Jill's”, for just £6.00; which includes just one egg, a sausage, bacon, baked beans, mushrooms, and tomato, with either fruit juice, tea, coffee, or milk. The 'vegetarian' option is £9.00, and includes 'veggie' bacon and sausages, free range eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans, toast, fruit juice, and either tea or coffee. 
 Full Audrey's Breakfast
There are obviously many other places nearby that provide decent breakfasts too, but I have tried all three of these recently, and found them all to provide excellent value, with Tutti Frutti's just edging it, taking into account the quality of food, value, and ambience, but neither should disappoint you, so enjoy whichever you visit!
Next stop, to the West, and St Leonards!
POSTSCRIPT: Tutti Frutti's has closed down, the lease being sold (a neighbour told me), so we shall have to wait and see what develops there. I have a few other ideas in central Hastings, though, research required, but I'm sad, I did like Tutti Frutti's...

No comments:

Post a Comment