Sunday 31 May 2015

Breakfasts West of Central Hastings

Following on from my blog 2 weeks ago (also an adapted article I wrote in the Hastings Independent plus more photographs), I have since eaten 'traditional' Full-English breakfasts west of the centre, essentially at St Leonards, and my already extensive waistline has increased yet more! 2 breakfasts were at a similar cost, one of the venues has an excellent view, and a great value breakfast was produced at the third. All three served up a very decent meal, two provide a 'vegetarian' alternative at the same price, and the Azur has Egg Benedict as the closest to a vegetarian option.   


First up, a good meal with an excellent view of the sea was enjoyed at Azur, opposite Marine Court, TN38 0BU (tel: 0845 812 1066). This isn't somewhere I had expected to find a Full English breakfast available, but I spotted “The Sussex Breakfast” on the menu when my brother and I had a coffee on their balcony overlooking the sea a while ago, and a 'full English' they certainly do provide!

The breakfast included 2 'butchers' pork sausages, 2 free range eggs, 2 rashers of dry-cured bacon, tomato, a decent portion of mushrooms (though not "field mushrooms" as advertised, as they are out of season, a reliable friend has since made me aware), and a slice of granary toast. The meal was a reasonable £6.95, and a pot of tea for one was £1.95; the Egg Benedict costs £5.60.
Azur Sussex Breakfast

My second meal was at the Love Cafe, 28 Norman Road, TN37 6AE (tel: 01424 717815), recommended to me by a friend. I thought it was a playschool when I had first spotted it many moons ago, but no, it is a very fine cafe in which to enjoy your breakfast, and with a large outside area (where children could certainly play!). There is a plethora of interesting articles and decorations inside that kept me interested, even though I was alone with a newspaper provided by the cafe, notably a fine glowing rabbit table lamp; you have to see it to appreciate what I mean.

The breakfast again cost me £6.95 and included 2 thick rashers of smoked back bacon, a fried free-range egg (which could have been poached or scrambled), 2 very interesting and tasty sausages (I asked why they were so different, and it's because they are unique, indeed, especially made for this cafe and containing very little cereal), tomato, baked beans, button mushrooms, and 2 buttered slices of quality granary toast (could have had white bread instead). A pot of tea increased the cost, that is a very large pot for one in an 'elephant teapot' (consequently, many cups of tea!) for £2; though I could have had a mug of tea for £1.50. The vegetarian option has 2 'non-animal' sausages, sautéed potatoes, a grilled tomato, mushrooms, baked beans, an optional egg, and toast.
The Love Cafe breakfast

Third on my list was the friendly family-run Cafe 17, 17 Bexhill Road, TN38 0AH (tel: 01424 420839), and another recommended to me by the same friend, and another great suggestion! This is a short walk west of the Bo-Peep pub, on the south side of the road, and their breakfast cost just £5.50. All their food is 'locally sourced'; notably there is an excellent butchers (Appleyards) a few doors back along the road.

The breakfast included 2 rashers of back bacon, 2 fried free-range eggs, 2 good quality Cumberland/Lincolnshire sausages (I should have asked, but I didn't, silly me, but they were nice, whichever!), tomato or baked beans (I had the beans), a decent portion of mushrooms again, and 2 hash browns. There were also 2 buttered slices of toast and a mug of tea included in the price. Good quality and excellent value, indeed! Their vegetarian option includes an egg, 2 Quorn sausages, mushrooms, hash browns, beans or tomato, 2 slices of bread and butter or toast, and tea or coffee.
Cafe 17 breakfast

I received a good quality breakfast at all 3 of the venues; the view from Azur is excellent, the interior of the Love Cafe is spellbinding, and the friendliness and value at Cafe 17 would be hard to beat... whichever you visit, enjoy your breakfast! 
Next time I shall be heading east from the town centre, indeed, I have visited 2 of my chosen 3 cafes/restaurants already...  

1 comment:

  1. Lincolnshire sausages have sage in them, Cumberland don't. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete