Friday 24 April 2015

Wander to Bexhill...

By Steve the Beermeister 

I had a nice wander to Bexhill on St George's Day, beautiful weather, and I hadn't visited the Albatross Club (R.A.F.A. Bexhill) for quite a while, indeed, I still had to collect my 2015 membership cards! It's a 10-mile round trip, and you can walk along without undulations, unless you fancy tackling Galley Hill once or twice. It's easy to forget how nice it can be walking along with the sea lapping at the nearby beach...    


One of the first sights on entering Bexhill is what I call the "Flag Raiser's Home", always a flag flying, unsurprisingly, it was the Cross of St George, but I've recorded many a different flag flying here... I always take a photograph, I have so many images of the owner's roof! 


I reach my destination (website), collected my cards from the pigeon hole, and had a wee drink there; some lovely ales at just £3 a pint (4 different real ales and a good range of bottled and real ciders). As an Associate member, I can enjoy a drink and a chat here, and, of course, I may sign in non-members. As a member of CAMRA, I was allowed in anyway before joining. A suggested donation of £1 is requested of non-members. 

The Bar is now run by the new (ish) Head Bar Steward, Karen, my mate Geoff having wandered off to run his own pub in Kent. Karen is ably supported by her Assistant Head Bar Steward, Peter, with whom I chatted yesterday. I was a little apprehensive of what ales would now be served following the departure of Geoff, but shouldn't have been concerned, because Karen and Peter are still stocking some wonderful ales, cheers!  


Anyway, time to leave Bexhill, and, as you can see, the sky was still clear, and a wonderful walk home ensued, a venture I would always recommend. 

I will be writing about the ales on my own blog very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment