Sunday 28 June 2020

Birds Part I - Sparrows, Finches and Buntings


I am using The Complete Birdwatcher's Guide*, as I suggested I would in a previous blog, starting with the chapter Sparrows, Finches and Buntings. Indeed, as the photograph of this chapter features goldfinches, then goldfinches will be the first bird I report my seeing, quite regularly actually, during my 3 months (probably 4 months by the time I finish!) of walking and noting birds I see.  

This is a group of smaller seed eating birds, and the image above, from The Complete Birdwatcher's Guide* depicts 3 goldfinches, one of my favourite birds I've seen quite regularly over the past few months whilst traversing Hastings Country Park. Indeed, just last week I saw a couple of goldfinches flitting around a telephone wire pole from the window in my living room, and this is in the town centre, they must have been lost!

Goldfinch

Anyway, this blog is commencing with the goldfinch, one of the most colourful birds that can be seen in this country, with its attractive red, black and white head helping you to recognise the bird easily, plus a broad yellow band on its wings that stands out in flight, and also very apparent when the bird is at rest. I originally saw quite a number flocking together quite high up Barley Lane before nesting, they became less obvious for 4-6 weeks, then much more obvious recently, when I've seen groups of, very likely, young not long left the nest, but more regularly, a couple (as mentioned above) or one sitting high up in a tree, singing its heart out (YouTube), wonderful!

I have seen chaffinches and greenfinches too, but not in anywhere as large a number, nor as regularly, although I have to admit, I've walked along these 3 miles or so for years, and can't really remember seeing a goldfinch ever before! The period of lockdown due to the Coronavirus Crisis, and the daily walk I was allowed at the start, and which I've continued with as an institution for myself, has given me the time to look around me and take notice of the wildlife, not that I could miss the profusion of rabbits (obviously breeding like rabbits!), not a few foxes, and I've seen a badger too.

House Sparrow

As one would expect I have seen many House Sparrows, and Tree Sparrows, and realised that you should take more time to look at these birds, who, more often than not, no doubt, I've thought other birds that just flit quickly across the path must be, because they are small. Again, I've learnt over the past few months that, for years, I may have seen a huge number of other birds that I hadn't realised I had seen, which is a bit sad. But, the sparrows are quite beautifully coloured birds too, so one seen should not be written off as just 'another sparrow' ever, the blacks and whites, and the different shades of brown make quite a striking image, a vastly underrated bird in my new opinion!

Yellowhammer

Going further across the Park to Firehills, and you reach a virtual bird sanctuary, again, I've walked across here many times before, but my focus has been on the walk, and continuing on to Winchelsea, Pett or Rye, but who knows what rare birds I may have not noticed?!? In recent months I have seen Reed Buntings, Linnets, quite possibly Siskins, but very definitely the striking Yellowhammer. The Yellowhammer is a very yellow bunting, the male has a bright yellow head and body, with brown and black streaked wings and flecks beneath, consequently, it is very difficult not to notice, and they do seem to love Firehills, as do I!

Enough for today... My next Bird Blog will be Crows, although the chapter in the book* is called Orioles, Shrikes, Crows and Starlings, I've only noticed crows these last few months, can't even remember seeing a starling!


* John Gooders The Complete Birdwatcher's Guide 
Photograph of Goldfinch, with thanks to the Sussex Wildlife Trust, and other photographs with thanks to the RSPB.

No comments:

Post a Comment