Friday 5 May 2023

Perry, Cider & Beer at the Jolly Fisherman

By Steve the Beermeister


OK, a few days ago I visited The Jolly Fisherman, 3 East Beach Street, Hastings TN34 3AR (website), a lovely wee pub that I have written about a few times now, eg blog. OK, I didn't drink cider this visit, although I had intended to, but had a couple of perries, and a significant dark beer. It was an enjoyable visit, so I thought, why not share that blog here, and only a wee bit edited!?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I started off with the very easy to drink Turners Cider of Marden in the Weald of Kent (websitePerry (5.5%), gluten free and vegan friendly, and made with 100% Kentish Pears. Medium dry, pale, with a big pear fruit aroma, very refreshing indeed, nice one!


But Oliver, the landlord, seemed very disappointed with me, I could tell, as he suggested I should try the "more complex" Ross on Wye Cider & Perry Company (websiteBartestree Squash & Gin Pear Perry, there's a mouthful in just the name! Made in Herefordshire blending two different pear variety perries, Bartestree Squash Perry and Gin Perry, yes, I was confused too! A 5.6% dry perry, a wee bit bitter, pale yellow with a big fruity nose, I got peach as well as the pear you would expect, and Oliver was correct, complex and well worth drinking indeed. ๐Ÿ‘


Then John came into the equation, well, I was halfway through the complex perry when he came into the bar, and he obviously needed company, so, after his suggestion what I should drink before I left was pretty special too, I decided to have another, just a two-thirds this time though... From WAY up int' north of England, from Wylem Brewery in Newcastle (website), and their 6.5% "Hazelnut Praline Coffee Porter" Macchiato. Personally, I got chocolate hazelnut praline more than the coffee suggested, but certainly a BIG beer, body++ and, and I've said similar before, a bit of a pudding of a beer, amazingly good considering the sweetness, cheers all! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

No comments:

Post a Comment