Saturday 10 September 2022

Elizabeth II - I had to say something...


I've been thinking about what I want to say, and whether I should say anything or not, but the satirical site, NewsThump, published a piece that says much, and probably the only non-humorous piece I've ever read of their's (copied & pasted below), but pointedly, it reminds us of the gap left in our lives, whether monarchist or republican.

I remembered that she was the only remaining head of state who had served in World War II, when she volunteered, then Princess Elizabeth, to join the Auxiliary Territorial Service as a mechanic and driver (above). I also remember, again before I was born, that my Grandad had danced with Queen Elizabeth II when my Grandma used to work as a cleaner at Buckingham Palace, and they used to have Staff Christmas Parties. In addition, Thursday was my birthday and it was a sad ending to the day, so I shall never forget the day that Elizabeth died...

Indeed, she was a constant in life and will be missed, R.I.P. 😔

From NewsThump

"Few things in life are constants; there in the background, always, your entire life, creating a sense of continuity.

Even if you don’t really pay attention, figures in public life give a sense of time and place. As established norms and realities fracture and change and become new and different, or are burned in war and rebuilt, a durable figure’s presence acts as a reassurance – a lodestone against which change can be measured and a reassurance that the future need not be uncertain as you fear.

And then one day they’re gone and it’s only then you see the gap in their place.

Without the constants, the changes seem so much bigger and the challenges all the greater. It’s a moment of mental dislocation, a moment when certainties become uncertain.

From those early photos of an uncertain but hopeful mechanic fixing up lorries to carry troops and weapons to punch Hitler in the face, to sharing a cuppa with Paddington, the Queen was there, her face on banknotes with a slightly quizzical smile as if surprised to actually be there.

And it was there for your entire life. It’s easy to lose sight of how valuable that stability is, not just to individuals but to a sense of identity.

Of course, people will make jokes. That’s what they do when they’re saddened and afraid. If they upset you, forgive them and move on."

Indeed...


No comments:

Post a Comment