Monday 25 July 2022

St Mary in the Castle to lose its shine?


Many years ago St Mary in the Castle was referred to as the Jewel in Hastings Crown by then leader of Hastings Borough Council, Jeremy Birch (R.I.P.), and I have written quite a few times about St Mary in the Castle on this blog, for example, and for the Hastings Independent. But I fear this wonderful building may be about to lose its shine, or should that be lose its glitter?

8 years ago I interviewed 2 of the trustees of the St Mary in the Castle Charitable Trust and the administrator, who showed me around this wonderful building, and everything looked hunky dory. Since then this nearly 200 year-old jewel became a well loved venue, indeed, friends of my niece are getting married there very soon! 

But I recently discovered that, after nearly 10 years holding the tenancy, the Trust will not be extending the lease beyond the end of October 2022, basically, their statement says that they cannot afford to continue, sadly.

The statement gives more detail of the reasons, and I have made enquiries to try to discover more about the positions of the Trust and of the Council.

28th July, still awaiting updates... 

Stay in touch for more information as and when...


No comments:

Post a Comment