Friday 28 November 2014

Council Watch - November 2014

Strange as it may seem to some, I suddenly found myself wanting to understand, or at least view, the machinations of local government in Hastings at first hand, so decided that I should attend Hastings Borough Council meetings, so, what did I find out in November? Not a great month to learn from, though there certainly was a sense of political combat at the meetings I went to...  


The subject I am going to mention is how Hastings Museum and Art Gallery had its plan approved at the 'Cabinet' meeting on the 3rd November, no thanks to the new leader of the Conservative group, who abstained from voting, because, it seemed to me, he thought his own party could have made a better job of it, using up financial reserves; which had been earmarked by the Council, I think, to help cover the projected loss of money from central government to Hastings, from 2010 to 2017, of 56%.

If the plan had not been approved, the Museum would not have been able to apply for grants, but the Cabinet approved the plan, so the Museum can carry on its business! I found this rather strange 'politicking' by Councillor Cooke, notably as the local MP has very recently given her support to a museum in Rye, Hastings doesn't seem to garner the same support from her local party, it appears...

That was November, mostly, but there were other instances of Councillor Cooke, and his protege, Councillor Liam Atkins, voting against Labour policies, hardly surprising, and a few political scuffles, and put-downs of them, by other councillors, NB the old town's Councillor John Hodges. This made the meetings more interesting!


No comments:

Post a Comment